2020-2021 Intensive Course in Community Cancer Genetics and Research Training ~ Distance Learning Only ~ Track 2
The increasing demand for genetic cancer risk assessment (GCRA) services has been fueled by the rapid evolution of genetic information and direct-to-consumer marketing by commercial genetic testing vendors. Identifying hereditary cancer predisposition through genetic cancer risk assessment (GCRA) allows for intensified measures to prevent cancers or detect them at an earlier, more treatable stage. Once delivered primarily through academic health centers, the demand for GCRA services in the community setting is steadily increasing. There is a surge in demand for GCRA services across the nation, but too few clinicians with adequate training to provide GCRA services. This activity aims to bridge this gap by providing the adequate tools to develop and incorporate GCRA skills into patient care, putting practice case-based and practice-based skills into play.
Physicians, Physician Assistants, Genetic Counselors, Master's or PhD in Genetics or Advanced Practice Nurses.
- Integrate cancer genetics and oncology knowledge into clinical practice.
- Apply skills commensurate with practitioner-level proficiency into the cancer risk assessment and case management process.
- Recommend risk-appropriate options for cancer surveillance and prevention as part of the cancer risk assessment, including imaging, chemo preventive and surgical interventions.
- Incorporate understanding of medical, legal , and psychosocial ramifications of cancer risk counseling and testing into clinical practice and research collaboration.
- Discuss clinical research methodologies in cancer genetics epidemiology and cancer prevention trials for high-risk cohorts.
- Recognize the roles and practical issues related to Human Subjects Protections, Informed Consent, Institutional Review Board and HIPAA in clinical research.
- Provide resources and information on current hereditary cancer registries , cancer epidemiology and cancer prevention studies to patients and professional colleagues.
- Realize greater professional self-efficacy related to cancer risk counseling and counseling skills.
- Incorporate web-based resources into ongoing professional development and practice-centered support.
This activity has been planned and implemented in strict compliance with the accreditation requirements, standards, and policies of the ACCME. City of Hope takes responsibility for the content, quality and scientific integrity of this CME activity.
As an accredited CME provider City of Hope requires everyone who is in a position to control the content of an educational activity to disclose all relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest. The ACCME defines "relevant financial relationships" as financial relationships in any amount, occurring within the past 12 months, including financial relationships of a spouse that could create a conflict of interest. Any potential conflicts relative to the previous disclosure have been resolved.
Presenters/Planners: Listing of Faculty and respective Disclosures
The educational content has been peer-reviewed, an attestation on file and no conflicts were noted.
CME Committee/Reviewer Nothing to Disclose: Joseph C. Alvarnas, MD; Patricia Aoun, MD; Chandana Banerjee, MD; Daneng Li, MD; Anna Pawlowska, MD; Crystal Saavedra; Raynald A. Samoa, MD; Gagandeep P. Singh, MD; Michael J. Sullivan, MD
City of Hope further encourages faculty/ authors to identify investigational products or off-label uses of products regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, at first mention and where appropriate in the content.
The information and opinions presented in this activity do not constitute medical or legal advice. Health care providers must exercise their own professional judgment in their clinical practice, and when confronted with the issues discussed herein, should not substitute this curriculum for the advice of legal counsel or application of sound ethical principles.
2020-2021 Intensive Course in Community Cancer Genetics and Research Training ~ Distance Learning Only ~ Track 2 has received no commercial support.
ACCREDITATION STATEMENT: City of Hope is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
CREDIT DESIGNATION: City of Hope designates this Other activity (comprised of enduring material and live virtual sessions) for a maximum of 62.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The following credit type(s) are being offered for this course:
• AMA PRA Category 1™ 62.75
The following may apply AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ for license renewal:
Registered Nurses: Nurses may report up to 62.75 credit hours toward the continuing education requirements for license renewal by their state Board of Registered Nurses (BRN). AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ may be noted on the license renewal application in lieu of a BRN provider number.
Physician Assistants: The National Commission on Certification of Physicians Assistants states that AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ accredited courses are acceptable for CME requirements for recertification.
- 62.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™City of Hope is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
City of Hope designates this 2020-2021 Intensive Course in Community Cancer Genetics and Research Training ~ Distance Learning Only ~ Track 2 for a maximum of 62.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ requirements. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 62.75 Attendance
You must be logged in to access this activity.
In order to earn credit for this activity, participants must:
- Read learning objectives and faculty disclosures
- View Enduring/Module Videos
- Participate in Virtual Web Conference Review Sessions
- Complete the Evaluation
Upon satisfactory completion, you will have the option to receive a print out of your certificate.
Estimated time frame for completion of this activity, including the time to complete the evaluation is 62 hours and 45 minutes.
Current version of Edge, Firefox, Safari, or Chrome.