BMT Education Class ~ Cellular Therapy Updates
City of Hope Arizona is building an Immune Effector Cell Therapy and Acute Leukemia Program. We are doing autologous stem cell transplants and starting a leukemia and allogeneic stem cell transplant program. We are also starting CAR-T therapy and doing Bite therapy. We have new medical and nursing staff and we are streamlining education and standard operating procedures (SOPs). This program will provide up-to-date education in cellular therapy. It will do this in a collaborative group setting allowing for team dialogue regarding current practices and relevant patient discussions.
Our team is composed of doctors, physician assistants, nurses, nurse practitioners, and pharmacists from different programs and perspectives. In building the program it is important to have standard practices when caring for cellular therapy patients. While we have SOPs in place, many learners benefit from in-person discussion and real patient case scenarios. The gap exists at this time because of the growth and development of a new program.
City of Hope Arizona Cellular Therapy Team (APPs, RNs, Pharmacists, MDs) for staff education.
- Review cytokine release syndrome (CRS), hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH) and immune effector cell-associated neurotoxicity syndrome (ICANS) related to CAR-T and IEC Therapy and discuss their management.
- Outline management of malignant pain and peripheral neuropathy.
- Discuss pulmonary and hepatic dysfunction in allogeneic transplant, including sinusoidal obstructive syndrome.
- Demonstrate documentation and reporting for patients on investigational protocols and provide current research update.
- Summarize management of tumor lysis syndrome and differentiation syndrome.
- Discuss possible barriers and biases which may impact patient care (i.e., race, ethnicity, language, gender identity/orientation, age, socioeconomic status, attitudes, feelings, or other characteristics).
Ginna Granroth, PA-C Hematology/Cellular Therapy, City of Hope
Amy J. Purvis, MSN, ACNP-BC, AOCNP Hematologic Research & Cellular Therapy Nurse Practitioner; COH AZ Hematologic Malignancy and Cellular Therapy Institute (CAHCTI)
Rachel Straight, DNP, APRN Advanced Practice Provider, Department of Hematology & Cellular Therapies, City of Hope Phoenix
Vivek Iyer, MD Medical Director, Pain Medicine, City of Hope Phoenix
Presenter: Ms Granroth, Ms Purvis, Ms Straight, and Dr Iyer have all indicated that there are no relevant financial relationships.
Planner: Meagan Higgins, NP-C, AOCNP and Ms Ginna Granroth have indicated that there are no relevant financial relationships.
This presentation and/or comments will provide a balanced, non-promotional, and evidence-based approach to all diagnostic, therapeutic and/or research related content.
CME Committee/Reviewer no relevant financial relationships: Daneng Li, MD
ACCREDITATION STATEMENT: City of Hope is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
CREDIT DESIGNATION: City of Hope designates this live activity for a maximum of 3.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The following credit type(s) are being offered for this course:
• AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ 3.0
The following may apply AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ for license renewal:
Registered Nurses: Nurses may report up to 3.0 credit hours toward the continuing education requirements for license renewal by their state Board of Registered Nurses (BRN). AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ may be noted on the license renewal application in lieu of a BRN provider number.
Physician Assistants: The National Commission on Certification of Physicians Assistants states that AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ accredited courses are acceptable for CME requirements for recertification.
- 3.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™City of Hope is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
City of Hope designates this BMT Education Class ~ Cellular Therapy Updates for a maximum of 3.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ requirements. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 3.00 Attendance