Live Virtual Workshops | Intensive Course in Community Cancer Genetics & Research Training | Track 1
The increasing demand for genetic cancer risk assessment (GCRA) services has been fueled by the rapid evolution of genetic information and direct-to-consumer marketing by commercial genetic testing vendors. Identifying hereditary cancer predisposition through genetic cancer risk assessment (GCRA) allows for intensified measures to prevent cancers or detect them at an earlier, more treatable stage. Once delivered primarily through academic health centers, the demand for GCRA services in the community setting is steadily increasing. There is a surge in demand for GCRA services across the nation, but too few clinicians with adequate training to provide GCRA services.
Physicians, Physician Assistants, Genetic Counselors, Master's or PhD in Genetics or Advanced Practice Nurses.
- Integrate cancer genetics and oncology knowledge into clinical practice.
- Apply skills commensurate with practitioner-level proficiency into the cancer risk assessment and case management process.
- Recommend risk-appropriate options for cancer surveillance and prevention as part of the cancer risk assessment, including imaging, chemo preventive and surgical interventions.
- Incorporate understanding of medical, legal , and psychosocial ramifications of cancer risk counseling and testing into clinical practice and research collaboration.
- Discuss clinical research methodologies in cancer genetics epidemiology and cancer prevention trials for high-risk cohorts.
- Recognize the roles and practical issues related to Human Subjects Protections, Informed Consent, Institutional Review Board and HIPAA in clinical research.
- Provide resources and information on current hereditary cancer registries , cancer epidemiology and cancer prevention studies to patients and professional colleagues.
- Realize greater professional self-efficacy related to cancer risk counseling and counseling skills.
- Incorporate web-based resources into ongoing professional development and practice-centered support.
Virtual Meeting- Zoom